Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Process vs. product continued

I am currentley the head coach of my high school's baseball team. Being the head coach, I continuously receive numerous emails, magazines, etc talking about the game of baseball. I get info on how to become a better picther, hitter, and many other aspects of baseball. But one of the emails that I get deals with the mental side of baseball. After the Red Sox came back to beat the Indians, I received an very interesting email that reminded me of curriculum class. Here is an excerpt from the article:

Did you hear the Bosox talk about how they won? "We played
one game and one pitch at a time," they sang in chorus.

They focused on the process, not the outcome.

Now we get to see who can stay focused on the process of
playing and emotionally under control while the outcome
they've been dreaming of their whole lives dangles in front
of their noses.

Right there for me to see was the two words that we talked about in class; process and product. I realized that these two words could be used for many different facets, other than just curriculum or education. I believe that the Red Sox won because they worried about the process and not just the victory of one game or the whole series.
I relate this to education because too many people want to know what the outcome of grades or standardizing questions are. They don't worry about the important thing, how do they get to that point. And maybe the process makes for a beter learner or more importantely a better person. I believe a lifelong learning will benefit more from understanding of the process than simply the end result. This is why cheating becomes such a big problem. Too many students only want to hand in the end result. They don't realize that the process to achieve the final grade is what is important in their edcation.

1 comment:

profileparanoid said...

thats an excellent point about the rise of students cheating in schools. If so much pressure is put on the end result- how are we helping the whole developing child?